Reaching widespread adoption for businesses to exchange electronic remittance information – or details about a payment – with each other remains a primary goal of the Business Payments Coalition (BPC). This is a challenge for the industry primarily due to the unstructured format and detached delivery of remittance information. The BPC is committed to addressing major provider and end user pain points in sharing electronic remittance information.
The BPC supports industry efforts to align on a common core of remittance content and delivery methods that promote broad adoption of electronic remittance data. While the remittance solutions landscape is still evolving, electronic remittance capabilities play a strong role in reducing payment application costs and improving overall efficiency. All companies, regardless of size, can benefit from the modernization of remittance information to help reduce payment application costs and improve efficiency.
Remittance Delivery Assessment Work Group
The BPC, in collaboration with the Federal Reserve, has formed the Remittance Delivery Assessment Work Group to determine the viability and potential of an exchange framework that would support the U.S. market’s exchange of remittance information across all payment types. Read the press release announcement (Off-site). The work group will leverage the talents and expertise of a diverse set of industry stakeholders to, ultimately, publish the results of this assessment. Learn more about the benefits of electronic remittance information in B2B payments in a recent article, “Electronic Remittance Information: Making the Move Toward Modernization” (Off-site).
- Simple Remittance Requirements (PDF) (2018)
This document defines data needs for simple remittance information that can be easily adopted by small and medium businesses (SMBs). It identifies three levels of remittance data, which, if included with an electronic payment, would facilitate cash application and reconciliation for SMBs.
- Article: New Minimum Remittance Data Guidelines Help Small Trading Partners Apply Payments (PDF) (2018)
- Remittance Glossary (PDF) (2014)
This technical report is a glossary of terms associated with business-to-business payment methods and payment remittance data.
- Remittance Standards Inventory (PDF) (2013)
The Remittance Standards Inventory is a comprehensive inventory of relevant B2B payment remittance standards.
- Core Adjustment Reason Code Technical Report (PDF) (2013)This technical report presents a streamlined set of codes for adjusting a B2B payment amount and provides an overview of how to use these codes in the exchange and processing of remittance information.
- Understanding Trends in the Provision of Remittance Standards (PDF) (2015)
This document describes three categories of lessons learned and findings of interviews with accounts payable vendors about their experience with remittance standards.
- The Experience of Food Distributors in Utilizing and Updating Remittance Formats: A Market Segmentation Analysis (PDF) (2015)
This paper summarizes interviews with food distributors about standards adoption and complexity.