The Business Payments Coalition is leading a 3-year effort to explore the feasibility of developing and implementing a standard, ubiquitous B2B electronic invoice and processing platform similar to ones that have been developed in other countries. The following links are the outcomes to date on the work.
- Overview of an e-Invoice Interoperability Framework (PDF) (2019)
Introduces the concept of an e-Invoice interoperability framework as well as market challenges and benefits of addressing them and a path forward for the BPC work assessing U.S. market needs.
- e-Invoice Interoperability Framework – e-Delivery Network Feasibility Assessment Report (PDF) (2019)
Provides business and technology stakeholders with an understanding of the high-level requirements and standards required to establish an open, federated network of access points for the U.S. market.
- e-Invoice Interoperability Framework: Semantic Model Assessment (PDF) (2019)
Provides a comprehensive analysis of existing semantic data models to determine the feasibility, high-level requirements and recommendations for the U.S. market.
- e-Invoice Interoperability Framework Assessment Report (PDF) (2018)
Report of the findings of a preliminary e-Invoicing Interoperability Framework assessment with an overview of the goals and approach used for the preliminary assessment along with key themes that emerged. The report includes recommendations and considerations for future BPC e-Invoicing efforts.
- Catalog of Electronic Invoice Technical Standards in the U.S. (PDF) (2017)
The Catalog documents the large number of electronic invoice technical standards that exist in the U.S. market, resulting in a fragmented market and interoperability challenges among the standards.
- U.S. Adoption of Electronic Invoicing: Challenges and Opportunities (Off-site) (2016)
U.S. corporations lag behind the rest of the world in adopting electronic invoicing solutions. This white paper by the Payments, Standards, and Outreach Group of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis highlights opportunities for businesses to gain efficiencies and reduce costs by more broadly adopting e-Invoicing.
- Overview of the e-Delivery Network & Semantic Model Assessment Reports webinar (Off-site, YouTube) (2020)
This second FedPayments Improvement webinar in the e-Invoice series explores the e-Delivery Network Feasibility Assessment (PDF) and the Semantic Model Assessment (PDF) reports. The webinar provides:
- An understanding of the high-level requirements and standards required to establish an open, federated network of access points for the U.S. market.
- A comprehensive analysis of existing semantic data models to determine the feasibility, high-level requirements and recommendations for the U.S. market.
- Overview of an e-Invoice Interoperability Framework webinar (Off-site, YouTube) (2019)
Businesses struggle with exchanging electronic invoices (e-Invoices). E-Invoicing, which is not an email with a pdf, enables automation and straight through processing. The BPC is working on an initiative to advance e-Invoicing for the benefit of businesses and providers. The e-Invoicing work groups conducted an assessment of frameworks that help reduce costs and increase adoption. The webinar highlights the Overview of the Interoperability Framework (PDF), which was published November 2019.